Join our team and contribute to our efforts of making higher education loan more accessible to Kenyans.
Higher Education Loans Board is a state corporation whose mandate is to source funds and provide loans, scholarships and bursaries to Kenyans studying in recognized institutions of higher learning.
For all the positions Helb is looking for highly competent passionate, dedicated and self-driven persons of high integrity who are able to demonstrate strong leadership skills to fill the following positions.
Assistant Manager - Human Resource
Deputize the Human Resource & Administration Manager on all operations of Human Resource & Administration functions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In liaison with the other Departments carry out Recruitment, Selection and Placement of the staff
- Prepare and manage the induction program for new staff
- Manage the Training and Development program
- Oversee the efficient day to day running of the staff medical scheme
- Ensure smooth running of Human Resources Management Information System.
- In liaison with HRAM ensure the staff manual and procedures, policy are developed
- Administer Disciplinary and grievances handling for staff in support cadre.
- Oversee the staff welfare issues and make recommendation to HRAM
- Assist in preparation of HR & AD budget
- Prepare and review operational reports and schedules to ensure efficiency
- Analyze internal administrative processes and recommend changes to improve operation
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate must possess:
- A Degree in Social Sciences. Possession of an MBA in HR will be an added advantage;
- Possession of professional qualifications in Human Resources;
- At least 6 years experience in HR practice;
- Proven IT proficiency
- Good report presentation skills: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management;
- Responsible for ensuring the attainments of departmental targets and objectives
- Manage and motivate team members towards excellent performance.
- Strong counseling and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal relations and communication skills
In addition, the ideal candidate should be equipped with demonstrable leadership skills, analytical skills, and a team player.
Research and Strategy Officer
- Conducting in house research and giving recommendations for implementation.
- Dealing with research agencies, which include but are not limited to designing questionnaires on areas of research and executing field research.
- Analyzing data and report writing.
- Carry out research on issues raised by the departmental heads that will be required to inform the formulation and execution of the strategy.
- Assist the assistant manager in coordination and compilation of the Board’s overall budget.
- Assist the assistant manager on performance management by implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Board’s strategic plan.
- Assist the assistant manager in preparation of reports on strategy implementation.
- An undergraduate degree in the field of Economics, Education, statistics or mathematics.
- Five years’ experience in the field of research.
- Possession of a master’s degree in the area of research will be an added advantage
- Must be proficient in IT.
- Possession of good analytical skill.
- Report writing skills.
- Proficient in data collection and research designs.
- Proficiency in statistical packages for data analysis.
- Ability to multi task and be able to understand the operation of the organization as a whole.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship.
- Able to summarize detailed report without losing the bigger picture.
- Capable of collecting both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Full knowledge of industry practices.
- Skills on monitoring and evaluation of projects
Risk Management Officer
Reporting to the Head of Department — InternaI Audit Services, the job holder will drive the implementation of the risk management principles by providing a consistent means by which risks can be identified, assessed and measured in line with risk management policy framework
Key Duties and responsibilities
- Assist in setting up the risk appetite tone of the board
- Assist in establishment of boards risk register
- Evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of the mitigating controls put in place and recommend appropriate measures
- Monitor and update the overall boards risk register
- Assist functional units in designing and implementing internal controls measures to manage any risk associated with their units and aligning their risk mitigating strategies
- Review the boards risk management policies against best practice standards and provide improvement recommendations
- Identify and investigate instances of nonconformance to risk management policies and procedures
- Make reports clearly indicating the observation, risk and recommendations.
- University degree preferably Risk management, Business or related field.
- At least 5 years proven working experience in a similar role is essential.
- Professional Qualifications on risk management or related field.
- Good understanding of the concept of risk and risk assessment.
- Detailed knowledge of Enterprise Risk management framework.
- Excellent communication, analytical and report writing skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in computerized systems.
- Applicants with experience of risk management in a financial institution having lending and recovery functions will have an added advantage.
- Considerable experience in Risk Management
- Experience in driving cultural change to support Risk Management processes.
- Considerable experience in conducting compliance audits of safety and/or quality systems.
- Experience in providing training and guidance in Risk Management systems.
- Considerable experience in assessing and evaluating risk and implementing corrective action.
- Experience in planning, organizing and implementation of “Risk” Management policy, programs, procedures and initiatives.
Required Personal Skills
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills.
- Superior negotiation skills.
- Leadership and motivational abilities in a complex rapid changing environment.
- The ability to develop a positive, accountable and customer serviced focused culture across the organization.
- The ability to interpret policy and legislation.
- High level time management and resolution skills.
Candidates should enclose up to date CV’S giving among other things, details, of day time contacts names and contacts of three referees, copies, of relevant certificates and testimonial so as to reach the office of the Chief Executive Officer on the contact below and not later than 13th November, 2012.
Higher Education Loans Board
P.O. BOX 69489-00400
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
HELB is an equal opportunity employer
Working with you to finance higher education now and in the future