Position: Chief Accountant at Nuru International Kenya
About The Organization:
Nuru International Kenya is an NGO committed to ending extreme poverty in remote, rural areas by offering locally-led training in agriculture, personal finance, healthcare, and education.
Nuru focuses on cultivating service-minded leaders and equipping people with tools and knowledge to lead their communities out of extreme poverty.
Using local income-generating activities, Nuru sustains its work and funds program scaling into neighboring districts – thereby multiplying impact. Nuru's vision is to create a world where people living in extreme poverty have the choice to determine their future.
About The Position:
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Chief Accountant will hold a critical role in the organization.
He/she will successfully manage the day-to-day finances and record-keeping processes of a large and rapidly growing organization.
This is an exciting opportunity for an accomplished accountant, with a deep understanding and track record of managing accounts, who will play a pivotal role in Nuru’s next phase of development.
- Responsible for development and implementation of accounting systems and procedures.
- Control of receipt books and other accounting documents such as cheque books, local purchase orders, requisition forms, etc.
- Custodian of cash boxes, stores and other accounting documents.
- Carrying out inspections occasionally and making reports to the Finance Manager.
- Attending to physical stock take, and managing inventories and asset tracking.
- Preparation of monthly statements of affairs, income and expenditure accounts
- Liaising with bank on any debits and credits which may appear to be incoherent, initiating necessary corrections and collecting paid up cheque, and that enough cash is maintained to meet daily payments.
- Passing journal entries in ledgers
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Finance Manager.
- Manage efficient budgeting process.
- Manage weekly and monthly cash management processes.
- Manage semi-annual audits, generation of financial statements, and timely submission of legally required filings.
- Manage account clerks and other clerks.
- Passion for Nuru International Kenya’s mission and model.
- University degree such as B.Com (Accounting), Business Administration OR equivalent.
- Full professional accounting qualification: CPA (K), ACCA, ACA.
- Minimum of 5 years accounting experience, preferably within the NGO sector.
- At least 2 years of experience as a Chief Accountant, or accountant of similar responsibility.
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word.
- Mastery of Quickbooks.
- Proven knowledge and experience in business planning and management.
- Proven knowledge and experience in Companies Act and statutory tax regulations.
- High degree of maturity, integrity and professionalism.
- Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative.
- Fluency in English and Ki-Swahili required; fluency in Ki-kurian preferred but not required.
Location: Isibania, Kuria West District
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Nuru International is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualified Individuals, Please Apply:
Interested applicants should submit their testimonials including resume/CVs and cover letter supported by at least two known references.
Please complete your application in English, include your phone number, and turn it in at our offices / Human Resources Manager at our main office (see PO Box for mailing information) or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please outline how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Interview arrangements: Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted candidates or proposals will be contacted.